Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mother's Day

As I become older, and hopefully wiser, I continually grow deeper appreciation for the role of a mother.  Being the mom of 4 very individual boys with different sets of personalities and backgrounds, I have had many opportunites to practice patience, learn new parenting skills, and see just how big my heart can love.  However, this blog isn't another my own children.  Rather, it is to celebrate the relationship that I have with my own mom. 

My mom and I in 1990 ish. 
 Growing up, I was one of those kids that was rebelious, stubborn, insisted on learning my lessons the hard way, and just plain difficult.  I always knocked heads with my mom.  Back then, I resented her "being in my business".  I didn't need to be told what to do because I already had all the answers.  My teenage years were rough.  The more I rebelled, the more she became involved, and then the more I became sneaky.  But I am so lucky that she was one of THOSE moms.  She never stopped inserting herself in my life.  The harder I pushed, the harder she tried.  I didn't appreciate it then, but I sure do now. 

Also 1990 ish....don't get distracted by all that hair. 
Even now, my mom and I are very different people.  She takes her time. I am impatient.  She has a more classic sense of style.  I like lots of colors.  We decorate our homes differently.  We drive differently.  We communicate differently.  You can perhaps chalk that up to me being adopted, or simply we are just different.  I still have my stubborn streaks, although I mask it far better now than I ever have.  These differences used to frustate me.  However, now, I have grown to appreciate them.  I don't always understand them, but I embrace them. 




As I approach 40, I see things differently because I have gained wisdom and perspective. My mom and I don't agree on many things, but I have come to love and appreciate her more with every year.  When I moved to New Hamspshire, I knew that being seperated from my parents was going to be hard, but probably necessary so that I could come to this new appreciation for our relationship.  The one thing that I can say with absolute certainity about my mom and dad is that they will always be in my corner despite our different opinions.  I am very fortunate to have the childhood that I had, the tough lessons I learned as a teenager, and the growing up that had to happen as a young adult.  I am blessed because my parents were there during the whole process. 
Mom and Dad visited New Hampshire for Mother's Day 2012

My Mom on Mother's Day 2012

My parents did a great job loving, providing, and supporting me.  However, I am now in the loving hands of my husband. I am completely grateful for his leadership, strength, wisdom, and love that he provides for our family. Having such loving parents of my own taught me how to have a loving relationship with my husband. Thank you mom and dad.




No comments:

Post a Comment