Thursday, March 21, 2013

Zander's Birthday

This week, Zander and his entire 8th grade class went to Washington DC for a week long trip.  They visited the Kennedy Center, The National Monument, saw a play, the National Cemetary, walked down Pennsyvlanvia Ave, and enjoyed a dance party on the boat.  It was during this trip that Zander turned 14. 

This is such a difficult age as Zander struggles between being a man and a child.  I get to see glimpses of both.  We see moments of maturity, moments of good decision making, times of planning for his future.  Although these times may be fleeting, I cling to these moments in hope that they will become lasting. 

This past year, I have watched Zander grow several inches taller, eat enough food for a small army at one sitting and then ask for dessert, turn into a much more social being, begin to have more opinions about everything, have more of a global awareness; and yet, still believes that at times, the world revolves around him.....all the makings of a teenager.   The moments spent in deep conversation with him varies, but when they do occur, I seize them.  It is so important to have regular dialog with your children, but as they grow older, it seems to be harder to do. 

With our family dynamics, it is sometimes hard to have meaningful time with each child.  However, Zander and I do enjoy going out together...just the two of us.  He and I always have a good time and we genuinely like each other's company.  In between the laughter and silliness, I hear his confessions, fears, failures, desires, hopes, and dreams.  I truly cherish these times. 

I pray that God continues to work in Zander's heart.  I know God has a big plan for Zander and I will wait patiently until it is revealed.  Love you son. 


No comments:

Post a Comment