Friday, September 5, 2014

Evolution of the School Year

As I was making my childrens' lunches this morning, filling up their water bottles, and preparing their snacks today for school, I had to chuckle.  I take extra effort to be sure their snacks and lunches are filled with lots of healthy choices, high protein, low sugary items.  I cut up the yummy watermelon, peel the cucumbers, wash the tomatoes, and lovingly pack everything away into their neat and tidy backpacks.  I package their spoons and forks into their napkins and draw a smiley face on it.  I make a hot breakfast each morning catered to each child's preferences.  I wake extra early so that I can shower and get dressed only to arrive at the school looking "ready for the day".  We are always within the first 5 cars at the school because we arrive early rather than late.  On three occasions, we have been the 2nd car in line.  That mom with the white Kia keeps beating me for the 1st position.  She must get up even earlier than I do.  I will be first one day :)  I am sneakily competitive that way.  My van is clean and free of any garbage or toys.  It is freshly vacuumed.  The three littles hop out of the van and enthusiastically skip through the door to enter their classroom.  I drive away happy. 

I chuckle at all of this because I know that sometime after Spring Break next year, it will be all I can do to manage to get them to school on time.  Forget even trying to be one of the lead 5 cars.  Their snacks will probably consist of a granola bar and pretzels.  They will be lucky to get a bowl of cereal for breakfast.  Their backpacks will be falling apart.  But instead of buying them a new one, I will try to figure out a way to rig them (probably involving tape and glue).  My van will look like a tornado ran through it and as the van door slides open so the kids can exit, I am sure garbage will fall out.  The boys will no longer be skipping to school, rather, they will look like sloths as I try to prod them out of the van.  I, of course, will be contemplating wearing my pajamas to drop them off.  It's not like I have to get out of the van anyway I will tell myself as I am trying to justify that pajamas make proper attire for taking kids to school.  I drive away looking, well, tired and rough. 

This is the first year in 7 1/2 years that I have had no children at home during the day.  Can't you just hear me squeal with excitement?  I have almost 7 hours during the day now to be kid-free.  Now, please don't misunderstand.  I LOVE my kids.  But I am finding out that I LOVE my quiet time too.  It has been almost magical to have quiet time. I don't even turn on the tv most days.  But if I wanted to watch tv, I get to use the remote all by myself.  I get to eat lunch without being interrupted.  If I want to take a nap, by golly, I can (although I haven't done that yet).  I can talk on the phone without constantly having to apologize for the noise in the background.  My husband has every other Friday off and we have declared those days as sacred.  Last Friday, we went to the movies.  It was so weird seeing a movie in the daytime on a weekday.  I almost felt like we were doing something wrong or sneaky.  But it was awesome.  The theater was practically empty.  Then we went to lunch and simply had a wonderful day.  It's amazing how just a few hours alone with your husband can change your mood and refresh you for the upcoming week. 

Anyway, I am thankful to report that so far all four boys like school.  This is the first year that the three littles are in school full time.  This new schedule has taken a toll on them however.  They are exhausted by 6pm each evening.  Oliver falls asleep in the chair by 6:30pm each night only to be carried to bed by his dad.  Carter insists he's not tired, but we frequently find him sprawled out on the office floor with thumb in mouth and sound asleep.  William begs to stay up late, but his eyes begin glazing over by 7:30pm.  Zander made the high school soccer team again this year and after practice, he comes home, eats a snack large enough to feed our entire family, takes a shower, and then takes a nap before doing homework.  Needless to say, the school year is in full swing.  But, here are their happy "first day of school" pictures.  Perhaps this year, I should also take a "last day of school" picture just for kicks. 







Here's proof that Carter's "not" tired.  Not sure why he chooses the office floor.


It's only 5:15 and he's out cold!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment