Monday, December 29, 2014

Deck the Halls


And now we come to Christmas and all the decorating.  Last year, after Christmas I went to Home Depot and all of their Christmas decor was extremely reduced.  I was able to pick several new decorations at 75% off that I would normally never spend full price for.  Every year after Christmas, Beau and I try to buy a little something new for the next year and after nearly 17 years of marriage, we have acquired many neat things.  But last year after Christmas was by far the most we had ever purchased at one time for the next year.  I was literally giddy.  This meant that decorating for Christmas 2014 would be so much fun.  We have two fireplaces in this house so I get to make two mantles pretty.  I have a beautiful stairway so decorating the banister was fun.






I skipped putting out my villages this year....they are so time consuming.  But I spent several years collecting them because I would buy 2 or 3 each Christmas.  My collection isn't anything spectacular compared to the elderly couple in Florida that lived in our neighborhood.  Each year, he would fill his entire garage with his village and open it up for the public to see.  It was amazing to see and one would have to appreciate all the work that must have gone into that display.  

This year we got to spend an evening celebrating Christmas with our church growth group.  Between playing a scavenger hunt with Christmas tree ornaments and playing pictionary with Christmas songs, and watching the kids play contently with one another, it was a great evening of fellowship.  


Also this year, we went to the neighborhood Christmas party.  She had some piece of Christmas in every corner of the house.  It was straight out of a Martha Stewart magazine.  Every room had a different theme and it was tastefully done.  They have this party every year so she must have it down to a science.  And the food.  Oh my.  The food.  I have never seen so much food and she prepared everything herself.  There was something there for every person's taste.  As I was complimenting the hostess on her party, she told me she started decorating in July.  I am not sure if she was serious or not, but I could believe it.  

Christmas Eve day, we made cookies and decorated them.  They were too ugly to take pictures.  I still have not become a baker worthy of pictures, but maybe one day.  That evening, we attended our church candlelight service.  This is always a beautiful event and wonderful time to worship our Savior.  Two of the four boys did fall asleep, but in all fairness, the lights were turned down low and the music was calming.  Oliver and Carter had no choice.  


When we got home, the boys put on their new Christmas jammies and hopped into bed.  I did not manage to get a picture this year but Carter was batman, Oliver was a minion, and William was a ninja turtle.  They were all a little restless, but it didn't take them long to fall asleep with thoughts of Santa and presents.  
Santa pile

Santa pile

Add caption

Zander got lots of bedroom decor to go in his new room

I got the perfume and fuzzy socks that I wanted this year, a casserole style crock pot, scrapbooking items, and to my surprise, a box of screws along with 3 auto cad designs for layout plans for new shelving in the basement from which I could choose.  I loved them all, but I am most excited about the shelves.  Beau totally knows my love language-labor.  Pictures will be posted later.  


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all our friends and family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment