Monday, July 8, 2013

Carter's Adoption Day

We got to celebrate my little Carter, or Carr as I affectionately call him after my dad, yesterday.  It was 2 years ago that Beau and I, along with our family, my parents, Russell and Cami Franklin, and Patty Fogarty entered the courthouse and stood before a judge and legally made Carter a Bennett.  What an extremely joyous occasion after a long roller-coaster of an adoption.
 
Franklins, Nana and Pop, and Patty (Zander was in Nevada)
His adoption was by far, the most eventful and emotional one of the three.  But, in the end, it was worth the ride.  Between our friends and family, Carr was a well loved little guy back in Florida.  We had plenty of support surrounding us and I sure was thankful for everyone.  I lay awake many nights wondering what was going to happen at the next court hearing because each time there was a turn of events that could have changed our lives drastically for good or bad. 

I realize I am not supposed to question God, but I often wonder why He chose our family to raise this ball of energy.  But I also often wonder how incomplete our family would be without him.  He adds a dimension to our family that is both a lot of fun and a lot of work.  Everything Carter does is big.  Big humor, big smile, big temper, big laugh, big singing voice, big stubbornness, big body, and big personality.  Carter starts preschool this upcoming year.  I held him back from Pre-K to give him a chance to learn a classroom setting, learn more structure, and have more time to learn to focus.  I pray for both him and his teachers. 
He will have the same academic staff that Will and Oliver had this past year and I know they will be just the right team to help him be the best Carter he can be. 
These are the ladies that worked to complete Carter's Adoption


My parents, the judge, and our beloved licensing coordinator

Yesterday, we had a quiet day at home just resting.  Well, if truth be known, we were lazy.  Beau and I took turns getting in a little nap.  Beau wasn't feeling well, and I was just lazy.  Later in the evening, we went for a little dinner and the boys wanted to spend their money that Nana and Pop had given to them during their visit last week.  We had a nice time dinner, even though Carter almost fell asleep. 
Sleepy eyes

Two handsome men!!



Not quite sure what he was expecting to see down his straw
His day began yesterday at 4:40 am with singing.  Well, almost every day begins with Carter singing, just not so early.  At the end of dinner, the server complimented the boys' by telling me how well behaved and mannered they had been.  Yes fellow readers, we do have lots of moments where all 6 of us can behave, remember our manners, and sit quietly.  However, food is usually involved.  LOL

We ended the evening with a trip to Target to let each of them pick out some selection with their own money.  Will and Oliver each picked out a Lego Star Wars set (no surprise there).  Carter, on the other hand, had a hard time choosing.  He must have changed his mind a dozen times before he selected a Superman figurine.  He must have been happy with that choice because Carter slept with his figurine last night. 

Carter has been with our family now for almost 4 years and there is never a dull moment..........

 

No comments:

Post a Comment