Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Going Home.....to Florida

This past August, I flew to Florida (without kids or hubby) to spend a few days with my parents and friends. I worked hard at getting the house in excellent condition, the refrigerator stocked full, and all the laundry washed and put away. It was only 4 days that I was in Florida, but I packed it as full as I could and I got to see just about everyone I wanted to. My dearest friend, Cami, put together a dinner party and invited families from our church where Beau, Zander, and I were baptized. This was such a special evening. This little church only had a few families and we met for about 3 1/2 years, but it was during this time that we grew to love each one of them. It was under the direction of our dear pastor and friend that this church existed. God had his hand on that church. We may not have grown in numbers, but we grew spiritually. We will always have a special bond with these families. We met each week in each other's home and shared a meal and spent time in the Word. We shared some of the most intimate times of our lives with these friends. We encouraged, loved, supported, prayed, laughed, and cried with these dear friends. Those 3 years will always be one of the most memorable times of my life. Our reunion that evening during my visit was nothing short of wonderful.
The Franklins

The Mickles

Part of the Rices


Cami and I enjoyed our annual birthday lunch (our birthdays are only 2 weeks apart) at a small restaurant that we love. As always, great conversation and time to catch up. We still talk regularly on the phone but our conversations are interrupted. On my way to pick up or drop off someone, on her way to an AP event, in between soccer, guitar, ballet, church, school, homework, doctor's appts, ....well, you get the point! So to actually share a meal with just she and I and to have NO interruptions is special in itself.

I got to see a special friend, Pat, that I used to work with many years ago. She is so inspiring because she is well into her 70's, still works (because she wants to), she and her husband (who is in his 80's) still go camping and kayaking, and stay active with their church. Despite our age difference, I have always had a sweet relationship with this lady.  She is quite an inspiration. 
My friend Pat and her husband Neil

I shared a meal with my friend, Wendy. Wendy and her husband, Bob, is the couple that Beau and I attribute our becoming Christians. Bob and Wendy and their 4 children are such a fun and loving family. Bob and Beau coached soccer together and it was from the sidelines that we could see something different about their family, but we didn't know what it was. We later came to realize that it was their faith. When you have a genuine love for God your joy literally oozes out of you.  They invited us to their church and the rest is history. You never know what will happen if you simply invite someone to church. God works in such big ways.
Bob and Wendy Nones, along with their 4 children


Another dear friend, Lauren, put together an evening at her home where she invited several of our friends from my college (and early Zander) years. It never ceases to amaze me that no matter the time spent apart, we can always reunite with no awkward moments or lapses in conversation. We reconnect and pick up just where we left off. I enjoy these ladies. We used to meet regularly (you know, before we all started having kids and busy lives). We may have even been known to get dirty stares as we shared much laughter around the table at Olive Garden. To this day, I'm not sure why the manager didn't ask us to leave. We have always enjoyed our times together. The stories and memories were just as funny now as they were when they originally happened. Lauren and her husband Tony just bought this beautiful home that had a pool and hot tub. A couple of the ladies left, the the rest of us enjoyed drinks in the hot tub......for hours. We stayed up into the wee hours of the morning continuing to catch up and enjoying each other's company. My friend Tina and I spent the night (well, what was left of it) at Lauren's.  A grown up slumber party!!! 
Lauren and Tony
Tina and Bobby


Best Buddies:  Tina, Lauren, Shanon, and Betsi
My last day there, I got to spend some sweet time with my friend Patty.  I always enjoy being in the company of this lady.   She is easy to talk with and be friends with.   She is such an encourager and loyal friend and I am lucky to know her. 
Patty

And of course I spent time with my parents.  It is always nice to return to the home where I grew up and shared so many great memories.  It's safe, comfortable, and relaxing.  The home has changed so much over the years as my dad has continually updated the interior and has taken on small projects.  Dad becomes antsy if he doesn't have some project to tinker with to keep him busy.  He is very handy and doesn't shy away from trying something new.  I love that about him.  Of course, he always somehow ropes my mom into helping out in some way.  They are quite comical to watch together. 

I am so thankful for my relationships with these families and I sincerely appreciate that my husband understands my need to go home occasionally.  Until our next visit......

No comments:

Post a Comment