Friday, August 30, 2013

First Day of High School

I am not sure who was more excited about this day, me or Zander.  I am sure the excitement and mix of other emotions were different for he and I, but emotional none the less.  Zander's thoughts were of his first soccer game scheduled for tonight, seeing friends, and navigating through the high school.  My thoughts, however, are much deeper.  Am I parenting Zander the way God intended?  Will Zander have a successful academic year?  What will his focus be?  Is Zander going to extend the love of God, even in difficult times?  Will his maturity grow exponentially this year?  Will he learn to gain more confidence?   Will he have the ability to juggle a full schedule this year, without the prodding of mom?   I had a hard time sleeping last night as these questions rattled around in my mind.  I was also thinking back to Zander's first day of kindergarten.  He was so independent and yet, still needed mommy.  Today, he is still that independent little boy and although he needs me, he will go out of his way to not let me know that.  I try to quietly sit back and watch him grow, learn, and embrace his new life as a high schooler.  It's hard to do, but sometimes less advice and less hovering is better.  I know God has a plan for his life and I rest in that. 

Beau is always saying that Zander and I are just alike.  If that is true, then I sincerely worry and pray diligently for Zander.  I made so many mistakes, like many teenagers, and REFUSED to listen to my parents (even when secretly I knew they were right).  I was fortunate because I grew up somewhere in my early 20's with only a few cuts and bruises along the way.  But Zander? 

Zander's school allowed a "trial run" yesterday for freshmen only.  He and I were both very grateful for that as it seemed to ease his nerves.  He had the opportunity to meet his teachers, learn where his classes were located, and just get some of the first day jitters out of the way.  He came home yesterday with a huge smile on his face and lots of enthusiasm for this school year.  I only hope he has even just a glimmer of that enthusiasm left by the end of the year. 





First day of kindergarten


 
First tooth fairy money
 

Cub Scouts

President's Report for school

Disney

Birthday
First school dance- 7th grade
Conway, NH
Sea World

Soccer!


 

Siblings....before Carter

Day he was baptized


 
So, I sit here while everyone is still in bed asleep and pray and look at old "first day of school" pictures and wonder where the time went. Now go Zander, and be the salt and light in your school. I love you and I am proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment